Sunday, May 10, 2015

I would definitely be a tunnet rat

Displaying IMG_0560.JPG


Being such good kids on vacation we were rewarded Saturday morning with a very special field trip. We were going to crawl through tunnels in the ground, in 104 degree weather, with high humidity. The weather was pretty crazy but the trip in general was pretty nice. After a long bus ride, like we always do, we got to the Cu Chi tunnels where there was a display of a lot of American military hardware like this.


After a glorious lecture by Pete a.k.a snowball, we got to learn some of history behind the place and the genius behind the tunnels. The tunnels themselves were really small but I fit in them surprisingly well. I guess it helps that I not only look Vietnamese but I'm also very Vietnamese in size too. We were also shown traps that the Vietnamese made which as an American, was pretty uncomfortable for the group. I thought they weren't that lethal or terrifying though. After a comment about the traps my ex-roommate Alex Thornton said I would have been a tunnel rat or an American fighter in the tunnels back in the day. Thinking about it, I definitely agree and probably would have died in a hole somewhere if I had fought in the war.

Displaying IMG_0563.JPG
(Not that) Scary stuff

After the not so blatant heat almost killed us we had lunch at the most beautiful location of all time. Seriously, not only was the food good but I had the most serene lunch imaginable. As well as the most serene bathroom break. That place is going to haunt my dreams.

Displaying IMG_0567.JPG

As the follow up to lunch, we went to see the Cu Chi memorial for fallen Vietnamese soldiers and then the cemetery which was weird as an American to see. It was a bit awkward too see all the lives we, as a country, took from the world. However, since my parents were in China at the time I could totally see them supporting the North Vietnamese cause which was really weird. Extremely conflicting loyalties personally I guess.

Displaying IMG_0583.JPG  Displaying IMG_0592.JPG

Just like everyday, after the morning/afternoon official business we got to turn up... I mean enjoy a nice evening in the fantastic city of Ho Chi Minh City. Either way the guys went to a really upscale Vietnamese restaurant that was neither "cheap" not "fast". Thanks Bry Man. Afterwards we went to a club on the 32nd floor which seemed like a really good idea but wasn't really that amazing in the end. I guess I didn't get as much out of it as I could have on my end but the place was just too chaotic for my taste. It was a really nice view though.

Displaying IMG_0601.JPG
Livin' it up




No comments:

Post a Comment