Monday, May 4, 2015

Day 1

Starting off with a bang.....or not

After a total of 30 hours in the plane we finally landed in Vietnam where the first thing I noticed right away was the humidity. Seriously you can taste that. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that plane trips can dehydrate you and I underestimated how fast Vietnam can sap all the water out of you so I became that one really sick person in the group....To everyone that was with me, I'm sorry about all the complaining.

After a surprisingly amazing breakfast at the Victory Hotel which is where we're staying I arrived at the University of Economics and Finance feeling okay at first. As our bus pulled in the students greeted us with hugs and...flower necklaces (I don't know what they're called). This was followed up with a welcome ceremony where traditional and more modern dance performances were to be had. Several distinguished members of Vietnam were there too including the Chairman of Education and Training of Vietnam. Throughout the whole thing I was extremely impressed with how big of a deal they made this and how much they just seemed to love us being there. I wished I could reciprocate there but I was just dumbfounded by the ceremony. After 1 million pictures we had a learning Vietnamese lesson where I started to feel extremely downtrodden. I'm pretty sure the girl next to me trying to help me learn was half concerned about me and half not amused with how I wasn't paying attention.

As lunch began I completely crashed and Bryan, our chaperon, had to drag me back to the hotel so I could recover. Thanks Bryan. Feeling somewhat better after drinking a massive amount of water and having a 5 hour nap I went with everyone else to the welcome dinner UEF provided for us. It was a really nice spread of Vietnamese style food but I couldn't really eat anything so that sucked. Also I came really close to throwing up once so that wasn't good. After the amazing dinner I mostly missed, we headed back to our hotel to rest for the next day.

I didn't take many pictures but here's one of a catholic church on our way to dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment