Monday, May 18, 2015

The end of something/the beginning of something

A day for memory lane, Friday (the last day), I think will be a day that none of us will forget easily. I guess I’m being sentimental but it started like this. Waking up at 7 or so we got ready for the Pitt versus UEF basketball and soccer game. A day hot beyond belief it was a huge struggle to play but play we did. All of us played in both games and both were honestly a ton of fun. UEF’s basketball team was really good but we tied it up with a win in soccer. I don’t think I’ve ever had that much fun being as sweaty as I was in a long time. After an eventful bus ride where everyone was in high spirits (a lot of singing was involved) we stopped by at a noodle restaurant that was not a good idea considering how overheated all of us was. However we all still managed to have a good time anyways passed out and asleep for the most part.

Displaying IMG_0715.JPG
Good morning Saigon

Finally getting back to the hotel, some of us went swimming in the pool while others rested up and packed like I did. At around 3 I went out with a friend from UEF to hang out again. Getting back at 4:30 we got ready for the formal farewell dinner. Going to the event in formal wear and then seeing everyone in the lobby made the whole thing feel heavily like prom. Many pictures were taken which enhanced the feeling of the night as being a night to remember. 


Arriving at our destination still dressed up extremely nicely, we got onto a boat, yes a boat, and had a banquet style dinner. Everyone got along really well and had a ton of fun. I would describe the atmosphere as being very scenic with college kids just enjoying their last day abroad. The river was very beautiful and it just felt like a great time to be alive. 

Displaying IMG_0748.JPG
Flower carrot
Displaying IMG_0751.JPG
Alex the man
Displaying IMG_0760.JPG


However, just like any occasion, it isn't all sunshine and rainbows like the pictures will make you think. The event itself was around 3 to 4 hours long and after the day before I've never felt so exhausted before. At around 9 I was starting to crash really hard and I couldn't bail like I normally would if I were back home. Also we were on a boat so that wasn't really an option. Everyone else was still enjoying themselves immensely but I felt like crap. This caused a metric ton of problems when I was supposed to be alert and on top of things when I wasn't. As a very sentimental occasion, this caused a lot of friction between me and some other people. The bus ride back was joyous for everyone else but I couldn't have felt worse.

Getting back at 10 or so we had about 4 hours just to prepare going back home. After packing I got to spend some time with people I’ll be leaving behind in Vietnam. When 2 am finally arrived it was a pretty sad time all around. Kate, our tour guide and amazing Vietnamese friend, was going to be left behind and that was pretty awful. I had an indescribably hard time leaving behind a special someone I met over those two weeks. If I had to put it into words I felt really empty.

In the airport I regret not saying goodbye to more of the amazing friends I made over the course of the trip because I felt so numb but such is life I guess. Some things just don’t happen even though they should. If you guys are reading this, you all helped make these past two weeks some of the best. Even though I've left Vietnam now I’m making it a promise to come back one day. Here’s to a great adventure and more great ones to come.


Displaying IMG_0763.JPG
this city

No comments:

Post a Comment